These COVID dermatology tips are created by a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Tanya Kormeili to help keep you and your loved ones safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. We hope you enjoy these tips and they help take away some of the stress of going grocery shopping. To make sure you don’t touch anything unknowingly, online dermatologist Dr. Kormeili suggests using surgical hands!
How To Use Surgical Hands
- Hold your hands in the prayer position.
- Then interlock your fingers. Do not open your grip unless you are mindful of what you are touching.
a. Now you have your feet, legs, knees, elbows, and buttocks to press buttons, etc.!
b. Remember to take off all your clothes after such a fun outing, and wash with hot water!
Tips To Keep You Safe During Grocery Shopping
- Do not go outside if you are over the age of 60. If you are under the age of 60, call others older than you and offer to help, please.
- Wipe down your cart
- Commit to what you are buying before you touch it!
- Don’t shop if you are having respiratory symptoms or have had exposure.
- Plan and make a list of what you need to buy to minimize your time around others.
- Buy essentials for 2 weeks if possible.
- Try not to bring plastic bags and boxes home. If you do, you must wipe the counters on which you place these items.
- Make a clean counter by wiping off with any disinfectant. Draw an imaginary line in the middle of the counter. One side, you will place “clean” items, and the other side the bags and boxes you brought in. Take out all exterior packaging of cereals, etc. if possible and place the contents to the clean side. If any cans, plastic or boxes you must wipe with a paper towel saturated in disinfecting solution. You can also set aside everything non-perishable for 3 days before you deal with it!
- It’s also important to wash the cloth bags with hot water if you are using those instead of plastic before reusing them.
- Scrub grocery plastic bags, or “dump” bread or groceries into clean containers (without touching!).
- Feel free to disinfect the milk container or things you won’t be eating directly!
- Fruits should be cleaned individually. Soak if possible.
- The COVID 19 virus can:
a. Live on metal and plastic for up to 3 days
b. Live on cardboard for 1-hour
c. Live in the air for 3 hours
Dr. Kormeili began offering teledermatology appointments to help her patients continue treatment goals during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are interested in scheduling your online dermatologist visit, click here or call us at 310-526-8301.